As in most things prevention is the best defense and this video focuses on mosquitos being the mode of transmission of the Zika virus and how we can do our part in our own neighborhoods and towns to prevent mosquitos from propagating. Also how to protect yourself from being bitten by a mosquito in our everyday life as Spring has hit the northeast and most of us will spend more time outdoors.
In terms of Zika and the risk to pregnancy, women and their partners who are thinking about pregnancy, here’s what you can do.
- Talk with your doctor or healthcare provider.
- Take steps to prevent mosquito bites.
- Take steps to prevent getting Zika through sex.
With your healthcare provider discuss –
- Your plans for having children
- The potential risk of getting Zika during your pregnancy
- Your partner’s potential exposures to Zika
CDC has guidance to help healthcare providers discuss pregnancy planning with women and their partners after possible exposure to Zika.